Tuesday 17 December 2013

Serbia-Romania

Don't ask me why I didn't write anything about this trip we did back in April with the Teachers' Association.
It was a good trip but I wasn't really impressed. And as we spent so many hours inside the bus (which had very narrow seats) I felt very opressed. Still now that I see the photos I realise we had fun and saw interesting places.
I took more than 500 photos so I will only share a few.
All the way to Belgrade the scenery was fantastic.
 The view from our hotel.
 First day bus tour. Bombarded buildings from the NATO bombing in 1999.
 Saint Savas Church. Impressive!
 The view of the river from the Kalemegdan Fortress.




 Nebojsa Tower where Rigas Feraios was killed.




 Lunch at Zemun.
 The notorious Karajorjeva.
 Cruising Sava River.

 Smederevo Fortress



 Acting a scene of our play even there!
 In Romania at Timisoara.

 Meat and the famous Easter eggs.(Pysanka)

 My beloved Romanian Pottery.
 At the monasteries Velika Remeta and Krusedol.






 Sremski Karlovci, a tiny picturesque town.

 Novi Sad


 Nis
 We didn't want to spend much so we only bought some local snacks.....
 a handmade icon for my mum at Dzep....
 and a book and some fridge magnets. Also this lovely Romanian vase. Prices are exceptionally low both in Serbia and Romania!

11 comments:

cathystitcher said...

The icon for your Mum is totally gorgeous! I hope she loved it.

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

Your pictures are amazing. Thanks for sharing.

prpltrtl946 said...

I agree with the others! Beautiful photos and what a fabulous gift for your Mum!! 8*)

What a wonderful thing to travel with your fellow teachers!! Is it something you all do on your own, or school sponsored?

Either way I love it! Thank you for all those links, too!! I had such a great time reading about what I was looking at!!! When I see all these historic sites it makes me feel like the USA is isolated! But then I see the bombed places and I am grateful for that distance!

Thank you for a wonderful trip!! And, I love that Romanian pottery too! 8*)

zina said...

I am jealous!!!!

Have a great time Ariadne

eleanna said...

I have heard so much about Belgrade, I surely want to go!!! I can imagine all the wonderful new things you have seen!

Anastasia said...

it looks very Medieval and old-world Europe...lots of green!! Great photos!

Rhona said...

What wonderful pictures! Looks like a fab trip.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Very wonderful photos. Enjoy your week!

Valma said...

wonderful pictures here again =)
it seems you had a great trip and you really make us wanting to go there !!
lovely magnets you brought, I love magnets =)
xxxx

Poppy said...

Ariadne,

A great variety of things you did on your trip! The countryside is, indeed beautiful, all those pretty wildflowers and hills! Not sure I'd like the food too much, but it's interesting to try stuff, right?

Merry Christmas to you! I hope you have a wonderful time on your trip!

Poppy

AppleApricot Wen said...

What a beautiful trip... I love the old buildings and the pottery, oh my! xx Wendy